Gene Kloss, painter and printmaker, was born in Oakland, California. She studied at the University of California at Berkeley and the California School of Fine Arts in San Francisco. With the encouragement of her professor, Perham Nahl, she began etching in 1927.
In 1925 she married Phillips Kloss and shortened her name, adopting the masculine form of her middle name so that her work would be viewed without prejudice and entry into exhibitions would not be denied. That same year, she first visited Taos. Gene and Phillips divided their time between Berkeley and Taos, settling permanently in Taos in 1945.
During the Depression, Kloss was a resident of Taos and made prints for the PWAP and WPA/FAP in New Mexico. She maintained memberships in numerous organizations including the Society of American Etchers, Chicago Society of Etchers, California Society of Etchers, Carmel Art Association, Prairie Print Makers, New Mexico Art League and the Philadelphia Watercolor Club.
In 1950, Kloss was elected an Associate in the National Academy of Design and to full Academician in 1972.